What is Graduate! Highline?
A full-scale community movement to increase Highline Public Schools’ graduation rates!
Here’s the background:
- As a community, Highline Public Schools has set ambitious goals for our students, all in service of one overarching goal: 19 out 20 students in the Class of 2017 will graduate prepared to choose their future. We are deeply committed to achieving this goal, but we have much work to do.
- Our 2015 graduation rate is currently at 70.3 percent, although this is a significant increase from 2014 (near 62.4%) we are not moving nearly fast enough. We know our students are capable of achieving more, and we also know our schools cannot do it alone.
- We are grateful to have a community that supports our schools, but acting as individuals or disconnected organizations, efforts are fragmented. Think of the impact we could have if people came together in one collective effort supporting our students!
- Our goal is to help ignite a community-wide effort around our students. Our vision is to bring together parents and educators with community, civic and philanthropic leaders to forge a movement that will push our graduation rates to our 95 percent goal.
- We are inspired by the Foundation for Tacoma Students, which has successfully rallied the whole community behind a movement they call “Graduate Tacoma.” The effort started in 2010 with a 55 percent graduation rate, and since then Tacoma’s graduation rate has soared to over 78 percent.
How can you help?
Start by “Joining the Movement” – simply fill out the form on this website and you’ll begin to receive information and opportunities.
In the “comment” section, tell us what you are already doing to help students in Highline graduate.
- Are you a parent or grandparent helping your child learn to read?
- Are you a small business owner that would be willing to give Graduate! Highline information to your customers?
- Are you in a position to host a student intern or maybe even donate to help with college and career access programs for students in Highline?
There is no wrong way to participate. We want to hear your ideas. If everyone is involved, we WILL Graduate! Highline.
The Graduate! Highline photo booth has traveled around the district this summer promoting Graduate! Highline. Click the photos above to see more.
In the News:
Graduation Rate on the Rise for 3rd Straight Year ~ Highline Public Schools (11/2/16); White Center Blog (11/02/16); Highline Times )11/08/16)
School leaders aim to improve graduation rate in South King County ~ KING5TV (10/05/16)
Highline School Board endorses movement to increase Graduation Rates ~ B-Town Blog (6/02/16)
Highline schools set ambitious graduation goal for next year~ Seattle Times (6/08/16)
Press Release Archive